About me

Mein Bild
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany
Iam a German 40s/50s/60s Pin up Girl, Retro Addict and Weirdo. I love make up, to craft, do photoshootings and collect vintage clothes/ lingerie. In my blog you can read all about it, mashed up with my thoughts about fashion/styling.

Topics

Shooting (158) 50s (80) photoshooting (79) fashion (71) make up (66) 40s (49) releases (48) 60s (36) review (36) making of (31) diy (18) lifestyle (10) how to (9) hair styling (7) modelling (7) styling (7) 30s (6) Skin care (1)

Donnerstag, 5. August 2010

Finding your style?!

Hi everyone,

once in a while someone writes to me asking how to find your own style or how to change from Mainstream Style to Retro. As it is such a hot topic and it is a lot to write to everyone separately I do a blog-post that I can reference to and that will maybe even help a few of you that intended to ask – but didn t get to do it yet :-)

The best advice for a novice is that the first things you buy is skirts and trousers. Off course you can go and buy 8 expensive dresses immediately, just to discover that you don’t have the gut or the occasion to wear them. The advantage with skirts and trousers is, that you can integrate it into the wardrobe you already have. They will work with t-shirts, sweaters and blouses, so they make a good basic piece to start with. One by one it´ll add up till you have a extensive wardrobe of whatever you could want :-)

I buy many of my clothes on ebay or in Second Hand Shops and if I see a good bargain in one of the mainstream shops, such as H & M I will grab it, too. I like to sew some of my stuff, too. If you intend to dress inspired by an era it is a good idea to find out what was all the rage at the time you are interested in. There are catalogue reprints by Sears that you can buy at amazon that will be a big help! But in general the deal is: Buy whatever you like cause dressing is supposed to be fun!

Here you see me discovering soldier panties from the 18th century in Stockholms War Museum. And guess what? I figured out very quick that those are not my style :-D



Maybe I will write more about the topic later, if anyone cares to read it or I just get so many ideas that have to get out of my head.

1 Kommentar: